Just 1 hour’s flight from Cebu in Philippines, Siargao Island is a surfing mecca where the locals live, breathe and dream surfing. It is well known in surfing circles for Cloud 9, one of the Top 10 waves in the world. However, Siargao is not just for experts as it has a number of surf breaks suitable for beginners, and you can get 1-to-1 instruction from PHP500 (USD11) an hour (way cheaper than Bali). People who don’t want to surf every day can also combine surf lessons with other activities such as island hopping and deep sea fishing.
Surf map from www.wannasurf.com
Siargao is still a hidden gem, and tourist infrastructure is not very developed. Other than the ultra-luxurious Dedon Island resort, accommodation is generally simple, and more geared towards backpacker style lodgings. Road infrastructure is also in its infancy- tar roads are typically corrugated, and in many parts just dirt paths. There isn’t any scheduled public transport, so you should ideally be able to ride a motorbike (or at least be comfortable on a “motorbike taxi”). Having said that, Siargao is a great place to get away from it all, and strangely enough, extremely Instagrammable.
Island life- seashell ashtrays, San Miguals at 10am, perpetually sandy feet
Details of the trip
Dates: 18 – 23 Apr 2014
Number of pax: 6 adults
Start and end point: Singapore
Logistics assistance: 100% self-planned
My Itinerary (free&easy)
Click on the links below to go to corresponding trip report:
Day 0-1 SIN-CEB 0020h-0400h. Transit Cebu (Hotel Cesario). CEB-IAO 1220-1320h. Minibus transfer to Kermit Resort, Siargao (45min).
Day 6 Minibus transfer to IAO (45min). IAO-CEB 1305h-1355h. Transit Cebu (SM City Cebu shopping mall). CEB-SIN 1955h-2355h.
Tip: You may wish to avoid the rainy season (Dec – Feb).
Budgeting – details (per pax)
(USD1= PHP44 = c.SGD1.25)
– Accommodation & food (x5N): USD240/pax
– Activities (as listed in above itinerary) : USD110/pax
>> TOTAL excluding airtix: USD350/pax
(Indicative Price for SIN-CEB-IAO return Air Tickets: SGD390/pax based on Cebu Pacific without check-in baggage)
Accommodation we used
(USD1= PHP44 = c.SGD1.25)
1. Kermit Surf and Dive Resort
– Basic surf camp/resort near General Luna, largely backpacker crowd
– Rate I paid: PHP1,450 per night for 2 pax (twin share, incl. b/f, aircon bungalow with ensuite bathroom)
– Facilities: free wifi in common area
2. Hotel Cesario, Cebu
– Airport hotel (5min by free minibus transfer)
– Rate I paid: PHP1,342 per night for 2 pax (twin share, incl. b/f, aircon with ensuite bathroom)
– Facilities: free wifi in common area (but it was “spoilt”
– My take: VERY basic and dated hotel, similar to “dive accommodation” in Tioman, Malaysia. Just don’t examine anything too closely…..
- Learn-to-surf in Kuta, Bali (coming soon)